≡ Menu

IRS Form 1722

I just got my letter for the Naturalization Interview and in the document checklist for the interview is “An original Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1722 listing tax information for the past three years“. After 45 minutes on hold with the IRS (using the handy number of 1-800-829-1040 provided on the Department of Homeland Security’s letter) I can tell you the following: there is no IRS 1722 any more.

The IRS operator told me that the 1722 was no longer used, and that a tax return transcript can be used instead. Luckily these are extremely easy to get hold of at the IRS transcript site. They take 5-10 business days to be mailed to you.

This is contrary to the 1722 info I read online – so don’t spend hours on hold with the Internal Revenue Service wasting time. Just order a transcript and move on.

It’s a shame that the different government offices can’t have a common language to describe the same form.

{ 44 comments… add one }
  • Rene Atherton July 3, 2013, 7:49 pm

    I had the same experience with IRS on phone. Wish I had read this first. And wish that IRS would use same words as Homeland Security on paperwork.

    • Jagir Jhaveri December 18, 2014, 2:16 pm

      Do we order Account transcript or return transcript?

      • Fred Morse January 7, 2015, 5:09 am

        Return unless you owe taxes.

  • admin July 12, 2013, 8:36 am

    It would be great if there was a meeting between the two government entities and the template for the form letter that is sent out was updated with up to date info. It would be even better if this could also all be done online, so they could give you a link to get the tax transcript data in lieu of the 1722.

  • Frankie July 12, 2013, 8:45 am

    Here is a tip for when you get your tax transcript: it’s double sided, so you have to photo copy both sides. I forgot that and ended up having to order a new one after I sent the original in

    • Darpan June 10, 2014, 3:24 pm

      Thank You!!
      Phil’s link helped and if anyone is wondering about the main link to getting these by mail or online is:


      • Patricia October 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

        Thank you so much for posting this link.
        I was already on the phone with the IRS for the last 20 minutes on hold :(.
        With the link i got the documents in less than 5 minutes. Thanks!!

  • Clara August 15, 2013, 6:10 am

    Thank you was very useful for me.

  • KK August 22, 2013, 6:52 am

    Thank YOU for this! Saved me time! Phew!

  • Ale September 6, 2013, 2:34 pm

    Im glad I read this (after spending 6 min on hold) so transcripts it is!

  • Chris October 4, 2013, 10:33 am

    Thank you for the time saver. Ordered 3 years worth of transcripts in 3 minutes.

    • admin October 7, 2013, 11:29 am

      You’re welcome! Hopefully you got this in before the government shutdown!

  • Johnnie October 18, 2013, 6:32 am

    My requirement is the tax transcript for the last 5 years. On the IRS’ web site, I can only request the last 4 years (2012,2011,2010,2009). I’ve not been successful at getting a hold from someone at the IRS via phone. They kept transferring me around and calls kept on getting disconnected after 20 min wait.

    Anyone knows of a direct number to the transcript department?

    • admin October 18, 2013, 9:18 am

      It takes forever at this time of the year to get through to the IRS – they are busier around the October 15th (tax return extension deadline) than they are around mid-April it seems. Sometimes I like to use http://gethuman.com/ to tell me what buttons to press on my keypad to get through to the right department and avoid the call waiting. I’ve tried it with the IRS – in essence you pretend you don’t have a touch tone phone and you get a human on the line who can direct you to the right place. Good luck with the tax transcripts!

    • Abufarwa October 23, 2013, 10:53 pm

      I need 2008 as well. Try this form: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

      They list this 800 number: 1-800-908-9946.

  • Liz October 22, 2013, 5:54 pm

    Thank you very much for this information. I just ordered 3 transcripts. Hopefully, I get them before my interview!

    • admin October 23, 2013, 1:54 pm

      Hey Liz – glad this was useful for you! Good luck with the interview!

  • William November 13, 2013, 9:08 pm

    The address recognition system used by the IRS transcript request form is not very bright. It apparently tries to match the address on file exactly, without accounting for the long form of abbreviated street designations. For example, in my case it did not recognize “Lane” but did accept the abbreviation “Ln” on my second attempt.

  • Lissa November 17, 2013, 7:46 am

    Hi! I received a letter from uscis that they need form 1722 on my naturalization interview. They need our transcript for the last 3 years. which they already know why we did not file for 2010 and 2011 because my husband is not required and I had no source of income on those years.Anyway do I still need to order 2010 and 2011 transcripts? or is there any form that I need to get showing we were not required to file? I have no luck on calling the 1-800 #. Thank you so much.

    • Fred Morse November 18, 2013, 9:46 am

      My advice is to have as much paperwork on hand at the interview as possible. You telling them that you didn’t have income is not as compelling as the IRS telling them that. Of course, they may ask you how you are supporting yourself too – to make sure that you’re not receiving illicit income. Since the IRS Transcripts are free of charge, go ahead and get them as per the 1722 request. Do it online so that you get it in the mail – allow a few weeks for that. Good luck!

      • Lissa November 18, 2013, 4:47 pm

        Thank you for the response. We decided to go to local IRS office near us because they want us to file form 4506 which has $50 fee per transcript(3 years) and not form 4506T which is free. Hoping we will get it the same day if not quicker if we do it in person. Again Thank you

        • Fred Morse November 19, 2013, 7:13 am

          Good luck! thanks for the tip about the 4506 versus the 4506T

  • john January 21, 2014, 1:30 pm

    Thank you! save me time!

  • Sara February 1, 2014, 11:19 pm

    Thank you so much, it took me less than 4 minutes to order 3 years transcript because of your informative post ;-)

    • Fred Morse February 18, 2014, 4:46 am

      Happy to oblige Sara!

  • Phil February 18, 2014, 6:52 am

    Hi guys, you can actually print the IRS transcript your self from the IRS website, all you need do is create an account through by using this website. https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/eauth/pub/login.jsp?Data=VGFyZ2V0TG9BPUQ%3D&TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-000c832c-9699-1293-b746-483c0adb40a7&GUID=&SMAUTHREASON=0&METHOD=GET&SMAGENTNAME=-SM-m5OrA%2b7FvbGU%2bgLgvTS4wrt26VgObWqx%2b78E5Bj5nDRoJHeUNEeLTNGiERDz%2bh%2fE&TARGET=-SM-http%3a%2f%2fsa1%2ewww4%2eirs%2egov%2ficce–core%2fload%2fgettrans%2fpages%2favailableTranscripts%2exhtml

    After creating your account it will direct you to the page where you will see all your taxes. I hope this help!

    • Fred Morse February 18, 2014, 7:27 am

      Thanks Phil – very handy link!

    • Sima March 5, 2014, 4:10 pm

      Thank you so much :)

    • ade June 2, 2014, 4:57 am

      God bless you, Phil!

  • Dina February 27, 2014, 7:57 am

    They no longer have the form 1722. So copy of your income taxes for the last 3 years will do or your tax return transcript, which that can be order online.

  • JENNY A CABRERA March 17, 2014, 5:17 am

    hi please i need my transcripts form 1722 for the last 3 years

    • Fred Morse May 13, 2014, 6:02 pm

      Well, the post spells it out I think. Simply go online and get your transcripts. You can do it!

  • ade June 2, 2014, 4:58 am

    God bless you, Phil!

  • hugh June 17, 2014, 11:08 am

    Thanks Phil for the help– Spent time on phone and got no where. I should be getting my request via e-mail soon


  • brian June 29, 2014, 3:03 am

    flying to honolulu in a couple hours from japan for wife’s naturalization. i work and am sponsored by the government at a military base. my wife has had a green card for 10 years and we work at the same place. we are both tax exempt and use the w-4 declaring no tax. just worrying about this tax transcript and 1722 nonsense. any ideas? interview in 2 days.

  • Sanka August 6, 2014, 7:42 am

    Thank you Fred and Phil. It was a great help. BTW how long did it take you to receive documents after you place the order?

    If any of you download files online, make sure that you enter all the details as it appears in the filled tax return documents.

    • Fred Morse August 15, 2014, 11:30 pm

      Less than a week for me!

      • Josie February 4, 2015, 11:42 am

        As for me I just go online and download the tax return transcript and instantly I got it all and printed them out. It’s a lot easier.

  • Chance November 17, 2014, 4:52 am

    You ɑre a veryy bright person!

  • Josie F. February 4, 2015, 11:44 am

    I got my transcript instantly. I just downloaded it from irs.gov. and save it on my computer and printed it. It’s a lot easier and saves a lot of time.

    • Fred Morse February 4, 2015, 1:18 pm

      Cool – that’s a new one. Thanks for the heads up

  • Atif A April 12, 2016, 9:59 am

    I have naturalization interview coming up in three weeks time. I have a question if any one can help me with that. USCIS is looking for 3 years transcripts based on marriage.
    Today I, received transcripts from IRS but it shows I owe money, even though I paid them a while ago via bank account. It is not much money that I owe. But still I need advice on that. Should I bring the bank statement showing entries that I paid the amount to IRS or proceed to some other procedure??


    • Fred Morse July 5, 2016, 12:24 pm

      I would take as much detail as possible based on my experience. They may refuse to look at it. You really need to get the IRS to send you a statement of account

Leave a Comment